Marshmallows in the shape of hearts are the perfect sweet treat for your friends and family!
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch and confectioners’ sugar.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, then dust with some of the cornstarch mixture, reserving the rest.
- Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a bowl; sprinkle gelatin on top.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking until mixture registers 260ºF on a candy thermometer, about 7 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and, with an electric mixer running on medium-high speed, pour into bowl with gelatin mixture.
- Continue beating until mixture has quadrupled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, then add food coloring, if desired, drop by drop, until marshmallow is desired shade of pink.
- Continue beating for 4 minutes longer, then transfer marshmallow to prepared baking pan.
- Working quickly, use a silicone spatula or long offset spatula to spread marshmallow before it sets.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Sift some of remaining cornstarch mixture over a baking sheet.
- Lift marshmallow from the pan in one single sheet, placing it face down on cornstarch-sugar mixture.
- Use a lightly greased heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut marshmallow, dusting edges of hearts as you go with more of remaining cornstarch-sugar mixture to prevent them from sticking.
- Marshmallows will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.