This is, by far, the best macaroni salad I’ve ever eaten. It really makes me want to sing “maaaaaaacaroooni”. It is a perfect blend of sweet and sour, and it is so pretty with all of the multi-colored veggies. Be ready for this to disappear before you even put it on the table!
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water, and drain.
- In a large bowl, stir together the carrots, red onion, green pepper, red pepper, and celery.
- Mix in the mayonnaise, condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the macaroni, toss gently, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
I usually make this a day ahead of time and stir it occasionally to blend the flavors. The macaroni will absorb some of the liquid.