I love ice cream and only need an excuse to eat it. But it is so much fun if I have to make it, because I can then make whatever flavor I want!
What You Need
- A mixer
- a large bowl
- a spatula
- a freezer safe container
- 2 cups (475 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1 14-ounce can (397 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix-ins such as chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc. (optional)
How To Make It
First, beat the heavy cream until still peaks form. This should take 3 to 4 minutes. Pour the heavy cream into a mixer and beat on high. This will give you a thick, creamy base for your ice cream.
Oh and if you don’t have an electric mixer, you can use a food processor fitted with whisks.
Next, stir the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Make sure that the bowl is large enough to hold the beaten heavy cream as well.
Then, fold the beaten cream into the condensed milk mixture using a spatula. Keep folding and stirring until it is evenly mixed.
So the ice cream part is almost complete. If you want to think about adding some goodies, now would be the time. Gently fold in your additions or flavorings into the mix with a spatula. Be careful not to over-mix, or your ice cream will lose its fluffiness. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- To make mint chip ice cream, add a few drops of peppermint extract and a handful of mini chocolate chips. This is my favorite!
- To make S’mores ice cream, add some mini marshmallows, crumbled graham crackers, and some chocolate chunks.
- To make cookies-n-cream ice cream, add 8 crushed Oreo cookies (or similar sandwich cookies).
Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and cover with a piece of foil. The foil will help keep the ice cream soft, and prevent ice crystals from forming.
- You can also pour the mixture into individual cups or bowls to make small, ready-to-serve desserts.
Freeze for 4 to 6 hours, and serve. Once the ice cream is frozen, you can scoop it out into small bowls using an ice cream scoop. If there are any leftovers, put them back into the freezer.. or you can share the goodies with me!