I love meringues because they are fluffy, crisp and delicious at the same time! Here is a simple recipe you can use to make them all by yourself! But remember, because there is some baking involved, be sure and ask an adult for help!
What You Need
- An electric mixer
- a pastry tube fitted with a large plain tip
- 2 baking sheets
- parchment paper or foil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
How To Make It
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Ask an adult to help you.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or foil. On each, draw 10 4-inch circles.
- Mix the sugars and set aside.
- In a bowl or electric mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt. Continue to beat, adding 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time and beating well after each addition. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and beat at high speed until stiff and glossy.
- Using a pastry tube fitted with a large plain tip, pipe the meringue in coils starting at the center and continuing to the outside of each circle.
- Bake for an hour until cream is colored and firm. Leave the meringues in the switched-off oven for several hours or overnight without opening the oven door.
- When ready to serve, carefully peel away the paper or foil.
- Enjoy! No.. Wait.. Share and enjoy!